How to Work Less & Achieve More
August 6, 2006 by bigpeace
by Philip Humbert
We are all “too busy!” We work hard, we have enormous “to-do” lists, and most of the time we feel at least slightly “inadequate” because at the end of the day, there is still so much more to accomplish.
We return all the calls we can, and yet there are still more messages waiting on our desks. We deal with all the email we can, and our inboxes are still full. We go to the meetings, we do the paperwork, we run the errands, and at the end of the day, we try to spend quality time with loved ones. Sometimes it just seems like TOO MUCH! (Ever been there? Done that? Of course you have!)
So, in the midst of the “have-to’s,” what happens to our “want-to’s?” We want to build our businesses. We want to exercise more, we want to take the kids to a ball game, and we want to relax! We want to make things better, buy a sailboat, take a vacation, read a book, or pursue a favorite hobby. (Does anyone else miss the “good old days” when fishing was an actual option? How about gardening or flying a kite, or taking a nap in an old-fashioned hammock?)
Now – just to rub a bit of salt in the wound – here’s the really painful part: The rich DO all the things we want to do! No one sees Donald Trump running to catch an elevator. Oprah Winfrey gets to go to the parties, has time to exercise (with her personal trainer) and vacation around the world. Bill Gates takes a vacation every 3 months! How do these super-stars do it?
The answer is super-productivity, what I call MAXIMUM RESULTS with minimum time and effort. What are the secrets? How (exactly) can we do it?
That’s our challenge, and fortunately, the answers are available. They are available to you, to me, to each of us, and we’ll learn them in this series.
Just to give you a preview, here are the six basic elements super-achievers use to achieve MAXIMUM RESULTS with minimum time and effort:
1. Clear VALUES. They know what’s important, and what is trivial. They understand that some of our “have-to’s” are simply an illusion. Some things are not as important as they seem. The key is knowing what to do and what not to do.
2. Clear PRIORITIES. In any given moment, there is only ONE thing that needs your time/attention/energy MOST. That ONE thing will bring results, that ONE thing will move you forward, and IT should be done, and everything else should be delegated or set aside.
3. Clear FOCUS. Whatever you do, do it with all your heart. Do it efficiently. Do it skillfully. Super-achievers are not confused or distracted. They do not “multi-task” because they know human beings can only FOCUS on one thing at a time. We’ll learn this!
4. Clear CHOICES. They know where their unique abilities should be applied and how to delegate everything else. They make decisions knowing they have limited time, energy and skills, and they make careful choices to get MAXIMUM RESULTS. We can, too.
5. Clear BOUNDARIES. Super-achievers are not interrupted. They do not work in chaos. They create Personal Eco-Systems? that allow them to use all their time, talents and skills to maximum advantage. We’ll learn how to do that.
6. Clear OUTCOMES. They are precise about what they want, and settle for nothing less. They know exactly which results they need to move them forward, and they keep track. As Peter Drucker said, “what gets measured, gets done!”
There is no mystery to getting more done. Each of us has the same amount of time each day. We have about the same amount of energy, but fortunately, we all have enormous potential. The difference between the super-achievers and the rest of us is a set of skills! They know how to get things done, or in my favorite phrase, they have a “recipe” for success and we can all learn to use it!
In August, we’ll learn their “recipe.” Stay tuned and if you have friends, co-workers or family members who need this information, please encourage them to subscribe! Invite them to visit my website at: http://philiphumbert.com or send an email to: Subscribe@philiphumbert.com Together, we’ll all become MAXIMUM ACHIEVERS!